Access macros (was Re: Status)

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Tue Jun 12 11:51:54 PDT 2007

Juergen wrote:
> I believe the C bit fields were, despite their usefulness at the first
> glance, avoided like hell in code that has to be portable across host
> CPUs,
> because it has (or had) to be portable even across various compilers.

Bitfields are a required part of the C standard (ISO/IEC 9899:1999(E)),
so other than the endianness issue (which I've dealt with), they are
portable across various compilers.  Any compiler that has a problem
with them is broken, and I have no intention of trying to support
broken compilers.

I also don't give much credibility to reasoning that something is good
because everyone else does it.  I'm somewhat more inclined to use inline
functions than macros.

Eric