HHC 2004 programming contest analysis

Richard Nelson rjnelson at aemf.org
Fri Nov 12 14:08:00 PST 2004

Hello Jeremy et al.,

Great write up.  This is one of the better write ups on a contest problem
in terms of the details and methods of solving the problem.  It is the best
contest write up for describing the contest, the difficult conditions of
competing and how it is perceived.

Thanks for taking the time to prepare it and I will add it to the HHC
2003/4 CD material.

BTW I think the most extensive (at least for page count) contest write up
is for the the HHC 2001 Programming Contest held on the Internet after the
conference.  This was due to a shortage of time (we cut the Conference
down to one day) and 9-11 four days earlier.  It is 44 pages (about 550 KB
in PDF format) and I will send it to anyone interested.  The problem was
summing the integers from m to n with the smallest program byte times time
value determining the winner.  Many of the participants contributed a
description of how they attacked the problem and the methods used to solve
it.
This material also includes questions involving contest competing technique
and the guidelines that are used in judging.  Bill Butler won that contest
with
a $50 Radio Shack Gift Certificate.