Time to discuss HHC 2006?

Richard Schwartz richas at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 7 17:04:58 PST 2006

I can go with Texas or Idaho.   The only problem with Idaho, is when you are
heading north out of Nevada.   In Nevada, the speed limit is 75, everybody
drives 85, and the Nevada police don't bother you.   Cross into Idaho, drive
another 100 miles at that same speed, and you don't notice that the limit
has dropped to 65.  As you approach the outskirts of Twin Falls, you find
out that one of those falls is falling into their radar trap.  So DO NOT GO
TO IDAHO WITHOUT CB AND RADAR WARNING RECEIVER!!!

Texas has places like that.  Once I was driving down the Rio Grande valley,
along the U.S. - Mexico border.  When I entered a small town, a police car
came in behind me and tailed me.   I stopped at a convenience store for a
soda, and when I came out, the cop was waiting.  He followed me to the city
limit.   I don't get it; if he wanted to ticket a communist suspect from
California, why did he bother to measure my speed?  He controls the judge
and jury there anyway.  ( I was headed to Del Rio, Texas.  When I got there,
I could not locate one of those little plastic statues that I wanted for the
dashboard of my truck.)

One difference between Texas and Idaho isin the local radio programming.
In Idaho, it is high class stuff.  Classical music, informative news, etc.
But in Texas, any broadcast content other than football and preaching is
banned.   I remember the day of Israel's raid on Entebbe to rescue skyjacked
hostages.   I was deep into Mexico, and the only U.S. station I could
receive had 24 hour Houston Astro games, and zero news.   I knew from the
local stations that something big went down in Africa, but I was not sure
what it was (my Spanish has improved since then).  I found out when I got to
Mexico City and my uncle there explained it.  (Oddly enough, a cousin of
mine helped build Entebbe airport in a previous, friendlier time.)

. . . Richard