fiber cable cut ... again

Vern Lindsay vlindsay at lanust.net
Fri Dec 19 14:37:29 PST 2008

During our visit to the HALO demo in Corvallis we were told
that HP has their own dedicated fiber optic network.  They
said in case of a break in a cable it was possible to
reconfigure to go around the the world in the other
direction for a quick fix.

Did anyone get information on the route of HP's HALO network?

Note the fat bundle going from Miami to Puerto Rico.

http://www.ripe.net/projects/reports/2008cable-cut/img/cableroutes.png

http://pajamasmedia.com/richardfernandez/2008/12/19/under-the-sea/

   Belmont Club
   December 19th, 2008 2:31 pm
   Under the Sea

   Beta News reports that 3 undersea cables carrying a huge
   amount of Internet traffic for the Middle East and South
   Asia were cut within 40 minutes of each other, resulting
   in large outages in several countries.

cheers,

Vern Lindsay
Boise, Idaho