HHC 2008 feedback

Richard Nelson rjnelsoncf at cox.net
Wed Oct 8 09:36:10 PDT 2008

Hello,

See below.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Eric Smith
  To: Handheld Computing Conference discussion list
  Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 6:56 PM
  Subject: Re: HHC 2008 feedback

  Richard Nelson wrote:
  > *The handheld was the Garmin model 250 GPS that Geoff was demonstrating.*
  > *It would be a wonderful device if it just had the maps and image
  > displayer.*
  > *I am trying to get clarification of the latter feature.  Does it show
  > images *
  > *on the SD card?  In this respect it would be like a digital photo frame.*
  > **
  What do you mean by "if it just had the maps"?  The Garmin Nuvi GPS line
  comes with maps.  Units sold in the US usually have the US map, but you
  can buy others including Europe, and download them or put them on the SD
  card.

I meant that the maps alone makes it very useful.  Getting
correct names, addresses, and phone numbers for places while
on the road is very handy and you always have it in your pocket.

We were trying to find the Conference Friday night pub.  I was
given incorrect instructions.  When it wasn't where I was told a
GPS was then used and we went right to it.

It will display images from the SD card.  I haven't really figured out
why I'd want to use it for that.  The 255W ("widescreen") model I
purchased recently has a slightly larger display than the non-W models.
The display is about the same size as that of my phone, but of slightly
lower resolution, 480x272 vs. 480x320 for the phone.

The display resolution is lousy, but keep in mind my personal
situation.

1)  I take 5 to 15 photos with my sony T-70 every day of my life.
2)  I do not have a smart phone, PDA, palmtop, or laptop.
3)  I could use a personal device while traveling.

I may have to start paying a premium for two pocket
shirts - left for my camera, right for a future GPS.

Some of the higher-end Nuvi models will play MP3s.  In general I don't
see why I'd want a GPS to do that either, but one clever use is the
self-guided tours they sell.

I agree with you on this point.

Eric