HP spins off PC division.

dthorn d_t_h_o_r_n at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 22 12:32:49 PDT 2011


Given that HP has a technological investment in calculators and super-calculators and not in PC's, they need somewhere to park their calc's and related items.

In my long talk with Agilent circa 2001, I suggested they take on the handhelds, or get them to the people who make the 9000 series.  That failed, for what are probably obvious reasons.

Bottom line: You can't talk to marketing people, bean counters, or administrators about technical matters.  They just don't care.  Ignorance and apathy killed HP, along with the wrong kind of greed.  They should have listened to Gordon Gekko back in 1987.


On Aug 22, 2011, at 11:00, hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com wrote:

> Send HHC mailing list submissions to
>    hhc at lists.brouhaha.com
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    hhc-owner at lists.brouhaha.com
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of HHC digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. HP faw down, go boom? (martin cohen)
>   2. Re: HP faw down, go boom? (genela at comcast.net)
>   3. Press Chaos regarding HP (Richard J. Nelson)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 17:51:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: martin cohen <mjc_q at yahoo.com>
> Subject: HP faw down, go boom?
> To: hhc at lists.brouhaha.com
> Message-ID:
>    <1313974307.53532.YahooMailClassic at web112508.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Any ideas how HP's leaving the PC business will effect its calculators in general and HHC 2011 in particular?
> 
> 
> 
> --- On Mon, 8/1/11, hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com <hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com> wrote:
> 
> From: hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com <hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com>
> Subject: HHC Digest, Vol 41, Issue 2
> To: hhc at lists.brouhaha.com
> Date: Monday, August 1, 2011, 4:26 PM
> 
> Send HHC mailing list submissions to
> ??? hhc at lists.brouhaha.com
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> ??? http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> ??? hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> ??? hhc-owner at lists.brouhaha.com
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of HHC digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
> ???1. Re: Hotel Reservations, etc. (Carl J. Morris)
> ???2. Hotel Reservations, etc. TWO rooms left. (Richard J. Nelson)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:02:45 -0700
> From: "Carl J. Morris" <tofu at dslextreme.com>
> Subject: Re: Hotel Reservations, etc.
> To: "Handheld Computing Conference discussion list"
> ??? <hhc at lists.brouhaha.com>
> Message-ID: <A70F775F64F74F8E975A0A7CD72EF0D3 at ecs1>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> The quantity available has been reduded by 1.
> I just took 1 by calling the "800" number.
> Thanks Richard for the reminder.? It prompted me to call.
> Carl Morris
> ? ----- Original Message ----- 
> ? From: Richard J. Nelson 
> ? To: Handheld Computing Conference discussion list 
> ? Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 11:28 AM
> ? Subject: Hotel Reservations, etc.
> 
> 
> ? Hello HHCers,
> 
> ???
> 
> ? The added block of five hotel rooms now have three remaining, and the Conference is next month.
> 
> ???
> 
> ? Just like HHC 2007 it seems that San Diego is a popular location.? The weak dollar is bringing in attendees from Europe and the new topics of discussion are going to make this an exceptional event.
> 
> ???
> 
> ? An HHC is one of the few means an HP calculator user has to directly interface with the staff at HP.
> 
> ???
> 
> ? I haven't has so many different HP calculators in use on my desk for a long time.? 
> 
> ???
> 
> ? Websites come and go and the specualtion of what is coming is keeping the internet chatter well fueld.? As usual all will be discussed and expalined at HHC 2011 and past attendees are on the sidelines simply smiling and enjoying the chatter.
> 
> ???
> 
> ? I look forward to seeing you all at the Holliday Inn on Friday evening.? The committee will be busy setting up - doing actual physical work if HHC 2007 is a measure - during the afternoon.
> 
> ???
> 
> ? Please let me, or any committee member, know if you have any questions, issues, or suggestions.
> 
> ???
> 
> ???
> 
> ? X < > Y,
> 
> ???
> 
> ? Richard
> 
> ???
> 
> ???
> 
> ? Richard J. Nelson
> 
> ? Nelson Consulting
> 
> ? Editor HP Solve
> 
> ? Home:? 480-584-4453? Message - You must speak for me to pick up
> 
> ? Cell:? ???949-296-5406? (on 24/7)
> 
> ? 8344 E. Desert Trail
> 
> ? Mesa, AZ 85208-4737
> 
> ? Calcfan, eMail rjnelsoncf at cox.net
> 
> ???
> 
> ? Attend HHC 2011; See http://hhuc.us/2011/???
> 
> ???Please note:? Because I correspond with many people both in and outside of 
> 
> ? HP, I treat my correspondence as public domain.? If you have something you 
> 
> ? would like to be kept confidential, please indicate what it is.? I will assume that 
> 
> ? I may publish email related to calculators in? HP Solve. If you correspond 
> 
> ? with me you must specifically tell me if anything you say should be kept 
> 
> ? confidential.? Because? HP Solve has a worldwide readership I would also like 
> 
> ? to know where you live; Country and city.
> 
> ???
> 
> ???
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> ? _______________________________________________
> ? HHC mailing list
> ? HHC at lists.brouhaha.com
> ? http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110801/41eb3568/attachment-0001.html 
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: image/gif
> Size: 179 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url : http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110801/41eb3568/attachment-0001.gif 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:25:13 -0700
> From: "Richard J. Nelson" <rjnelsoncf at cox.net>
> Subject: Hotel Reservations, etc. TWO rooms left.
> To: "'Handheld Computing Conference discussion list'"
> ??? <hhc at lists.brouhaha.com>
> Message-ID: <000c01cc50a2$43bdfbb0$cb39f310$@cox.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Thanks Carl for letting us know.? Two rooms left.? I will "beg" for more,
> but only if you all let me know.
> 
> 
> 
> This is the closest hotel to the Conference.
> 
> 
> 
> X < > Y,
> 
> 
> 
> Richard
> 
> 
> 
> Richard J. Nelson
> 
> Nelson Consulting
> 
> Editor HP Solve
> 
> Home:? 480-584-4453? Message - You must speak for me to pick up
> 
> Cell:? ???949-296-5406? (on 24/7)
> 
> 8344 E. Desert Trail
> 
> Mesa, AZ 85208-4737
> 
> Calcfan, eMail? <mailto:rjnelsoncf at cox.net> rjnelsoncf at cox.net
> 
> 
> 
> Attend HHC 2011; See? <http://hhuc.us/2011/> http://hhuc.us/2011/???
> 
> Please note:? Because I correspond with many people both in and outside of 
> 
> HP, I treat my correspondence as public domain.? If you have something you 
> 
> would like to be kept confidential, please indicate what it is.? I will
> assume that 
> 
> I may publish email related to calculators in? HP Solve. If you correspond 
> 
> with me you must specifically tell me if anything you say should be kept 
> 
> confidential.? Because? HP Solve has a worldwide readership I would also
> like 
> 
> to know where you live; Country and city.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> From: hhc-bounces at lists.brouhaha.com [mailto:hhc-bounces at lists.brouhaha.com]
> On Behalf Of Carl J. Morris
> Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 1:03 PM
> To: Handheld Computing Conference discussion list
> Subject: Re: Hotel Reservations, etc.
> 
> 
> 
> The quantity available has been reduced by 1.
> 
> I just took 1 by calling the "800" number.
> 
> Thanks Richard for the reminder.? It prompted me to call.
> 
> Carl Morris
> 
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> 
> From: Richard J. Nelson <mailto:rjnelsoncf at cox.net>? 
> 
> To: Handheld Computing Conference discussion list
> <mailto:hhc at lists.brouhaha.com>? 
> 
> Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 11:28 AM
> 
> Subject: Hotel Reservations, etc.
> 
> 
> 
> Hello HHCers,
> 
> 
> 
> The added block of five hotel rooms now have three remaining, and the
> Conference is next month.
> 
> 
> 
> Just like HHC 2007 it seems that San Diego is a popular location.? The weak
> dollar is bringing in attendees from Europe and the new topics of discussion
> are going to make this an exceptional event.
> 
> 
> 
> An HHC is one of the few means an HP calculator user has to directly
> interface with the staff at HP.
> 
> 
> 
> I haven't has so many different HP calculators in use on my desk for a long
> time.? 
> 
> 
> 
> Websites come and go and the specualtion of what is coming is keeping the
> internet chatter well fueld.? As usual all will be discussed and expalined
> at HHC 2011 and past attendees are on the sidelines simply smiling and
> enjoying the chatter.
> 
> 
> 
> I look forward to seeing you all at the Holliday Inn on Friday evening.? The
> committee will be busy setting up - doing actual physical work if HHC 2007
> is a measure - during the afternoon.
> 
> 
> 
> Please let me, or any committee member, know if you have any questions,
> issues, or suggestions.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> X < > Y,
> 
> 
> 
> Richard
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Richard J. Nelson
> 
> Nelson Consulting
> 
> Editor HP Solve
> 
> Home:? 480-584-4453? Message - You must speak for me to pick up
> 
> Cell:? ???949-296-5406? (on 24/7)
> 
> 8344 E. Desert Trail
> 
> Mesa, AZ 85208-4737
> 
> Calcfan, eMail rjnelsoncf at cox.net
> 
> 
> 
> Attend HHC 2011; See? <http://hhuc.us/2011/> http://hhuc.us/2011/???
> 
> Please note:? Because I correspond with many people both in and outside of 
> 
> HP, I treat my correspondence as public domain.? If you have something you 
> 
> would like to be kept confidential, please indicate what it is.? I will
> assume that 
> 
> I may publish email related to calculators in? HP Solve. If you correspond 
> 
> with me you must specifically tell me if anything you say should be kept 
> 
> confidential.? Because? HP Solve has a worldwide readership I would also
> like 
> 
> to know where you live; Country and city.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ? _____? 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> HHC mailing list
> HHC at lists.brouhaha.com
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110801/0b576e38/attachment.html 
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: image/gif
> Size: 179 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url : http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110801/0b576e38/attachment.gif 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> HHC mailing list
> HHC at lists.brouhaha.com
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc
> 
> End of HHC Digest, Vol 41, Issue 2
> **********************************
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110821/4e5de080/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 02:32:10 +0000 (UTC)
> From: genela at comcast.net
> Subject: Re: HP faw down, go boom?
> To: Handheld Computing Conference discussion list
>    <hhc at lists.brouhaha.com>
> Message-ID:
>    <1423392350.551095.1313980330367.JavaMail.root at sz0096a.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net>
>    
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Several discussions on the hp museum. I would suggest going there to read them. 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110822/c1f980c5/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:59:14 -0700
> From: "Richard J. Nelson" <rjnelsoncf at cox.net>
> Subject: Press Chaos regarding HP
> To: "Handheld Computing Conference discussion list"
>    <hhc at lists.brouhaha.com>
> Message-ID: <003801cc60f5$3467e5a0$9d37b0e0$@cox.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Hello HHCers,
> 
> 
> 
> Many of you have been reading the many press articles regarding HP spinning
> off or selling their PC produt line.
> 
> 
> 
> Because calcualtors are part of that product "group" many questions have
> been raised regarding the future.
> 
> 
> 
> Will HHC 2011 continue?  Yes, of course, and Cyrille, HP's Calculator R&D
> Manager is flying in from France to attend.
> 
> 
> 
> Regarding our hotel being sold out.  I have just made arrangements for seven
> more rooms to be adeed to our reserved block.  The previously added five
> rooms filled up quickly.    
> 
> 
> 
> We have more calculator designers attending this conference than I can
> remember of any previous conference in the last ten years.
> 
> 
> 
> While I don't have any more information than the press I can confidently
> offer a few thoughts.  HP calculators are profitable, apparently much more
> profitable than PC's.  This is always an important consideration when
> managers start swinging the ax in situations like this.  The other critical
> "fact" to keep in mind is that HP has said that it will be 12 to 18 months
> before they are able to study and make any changes.  Another consideration
> is that HP is not financially "ill" and they are not in a panic mode as some
> press "analysts" might project.
> 
> 
> 
> I found the short commentary at the link below especially interesting.
> 
> 
> 
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/education/the-touchpad-and-hps-future-in-education
> /4673?tag=nl.e623
> 
> 
> 
> Everyone has an "explaination" for what is happening.  From an overview
> perspective the root cause seems to be the MBA mentality.  Rooted in this is
> the lack of (as in meaningless) many values that we, as customers, respect
> in a company.  Long term thinking is now reduced to a few quarters and five
> year plans are a historical footnote.  
> 
> 
> 
> The HP calculator market is 40 years old and a single product, the HP-12C
> has been manufactured for 32 years (July 4, 1980 is oldest known HP-12C
> based on the serial number).  This is an incredable product history in
> consumer electronics.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Aside from the many press points of view being expressed as to why HP is now
> in a position of a decling company I think that there is one primary reason.
> It is the same reason the total economy is down.  The article at the link
> above says it clearly.  In one word, instability.  The most important aspect
> of any business investment is having confidence (real or believed) of what
> to expect.  When the HP Board made their press release they "killed" the
> confidence of their customers.  That was a very bad move.
> 
> 
> 
> Calculators are quite different compared to PC's.  It will be a long time
> before we will see changes at calcualtors and everyone is going forward with
> the current projects.  This topic will be one to more seriously discuss at
> HHC 2012.
> 
> 
> 
> The HHC Committee; Joseph K. Horn, Gene Wright, Jake Schwartz, Wlodek
> Mier-Jedrzjowicz and I look forward to an exciting Conference - with way too
> much to talk about.  We will work it all out, just as we have always done.
> 
> 
> 
> X < > Y,
> 
> 
> 
> Richard
> 
> P.S.  What do you all do with your calculators.  I find that everything
> revolves around the computer and computer desk top space is at a premium.  I
> build a custom "U" shaped table so I have desk space on both sides as well
> as in front.  Here is how I solved my stacks-of-calculators problem.  I
> build a stand that may easily be moved if needed.  It holds 25 to 30
> calcualtors and I can find the one I need easily and conviently.  After
> using it for couple of weeks I would make one suggestion.  Tilt it back a
> little more (it is now at 30 degrees).  Because the machines are tapered the
> top (front most) ones are nearly vertical and slightly unstable.  The case
> angle adds up fast when there are seven machines in a stack.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Richard J. Nelson
> 
> Nelson Consulting
> 
> Editor HP Solve
> 
> Home:  480-584-4453  Message - You must speak for me to pick up
> 
> Cell:     949-296-5406  (on 24/7)
> 
> 8344 E. Desert Trail
> 
> Mesa, AZ 85208-4737
> 
> Calcfan, eMail rjnelsoncf at cox.net
> 
> 
> 
> Attend HHC 2011; See  <http://hhuc.us/2011/> http://hhuc.us/2011/   
> 
> Please note:  Because I correspond with many people both in and outside of 
> 
> HP, I treat my correspondence as public domain.  If you have something you 
> 
> would like to be kept confidential, please indicate what it is.  I will
> assume that 
> 
> I may publish email related to calculators in  HP Solve. If you correspond 
> 
> with me you must specifically tell me if anything you say should be kept 
> 
> confidential.  Because  HP Solve has a worldwide readership I would also
> like 
> 
> to know where you live; Country and city.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110822/44dd21c4/attachment.html 
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: image/jpeg
> Size: 69344 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url : http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110822/44dd21c4/attachment.jpe 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> HHC mailing list
> HHC at lists.brouhaha.com
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc
> 
> End of HHC Digest, Vol 41, Issue 3
> **********************************


More information about the HHC mailing list