HP spins off PC division.

Richard J. Nelson rjnelsoncf at cox.net
Mon Aug 22 13:54:56 PDT 2011


Quite true, but hindsight is all too often 20-20.  

The "marketing" issue I find especially interesting is that of "brand
recognition."  HP managers are really sensitive to the concept but they
seldom understand the customer/technical factors that make the HP calculator
brand what it is.  

For HP Calculators one such factor is accuracy.  Having the correct answer
in the display is an HP feature that is slowly becoming technically less of
an issue.  Two of HP's lowest cost calculators, the 10D HP 30s and HP 9g,
are 80 BIT binary machines (24 digit) and for some tests they are the  most
accurate when running Mike Sebastians Calculator Forensics test.  See:
http://www.rskey.org/~mwsebastian/miscprj/forensics.htm 

I have a 10D and 12D table of most HP calculator values in an upcoming
article in Issue 25 of HP solve to be posted September earliest.

The Chinese do not have much of a sense of brand recognition and in fact
many Chinese made products are brandless.  This will change with time but
that factor added to the Internet exerts a mindset in the youth of a
brandless product.  Who would that HP's own policies could destroy the HP PC
brand?  What will happen to Apple when Steve Jobs is "gone?"  Without a
vision companies wander aimlessly with market driven "me too" products.
Without a set of values there cannot be a vision.  Todays MBA training just
doesn't include the values that Bill and Dave - and a host of other
electronic company pioneer founders - practiced.  

Size is also a factor and when companies get to the size of HP the
management layers greatly inhibit reacting and the startups run circles
aroaund them.  If you want a good example just look at the most efficient
tool HP has and how they don't use it effectively - their website.  It is
all often too little too late and so yesterday.  The Hp website has some
really great features but "selling" and being "current" is not one of them.

X < > Y,

Richard


Richard J. Nelson
Nelson Consulting
Editor HP Solve
Home:  480-584-4453  Message – You must speak for me to pick up
Cell:     949-296-5406  (on 24/7)
8344 E. Desert Trail
Mesa, AZ 85208-4737
Calcfan, eMail rjnelsoncf at cox.net

Attend HHC 2011; See http://hhuc.us/2011/   
 Please note:  Because I correspond with many people both in and outside of 
HP, I treat my correspondence as public domain.  If you have something you 
would like to be kept confidential, please indicate what it is.  I will
assume that 
I may publish email related to calculators in  HP Solve. If you correspond 
with me you must specifically tell me if anything you say should be kept 
confidential.  Because  HP Solve has a worldwide readership I would also
like 
to know where you live; Country and city.



-----Original Message-----
From: hhc-bounces at lists.brouhaha.com [mailto:hhc-bounces at lists.brouhaha.com]
On Behalf Of dthorn
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 12:33 PM
To: hhc at lists.brouhaha.com
Cc: hhc at lists.brouhaha.com
Subject: Re: HP spins off PC division.

Given that HP has a technological investment in calculators and
super-calculators and not in PC's, they need somewhere to park their calc's
and related items.

In my long talk with Agilent circa 2001, I suggested they take on the
handhelds, or get them to the people who make the 9000 series.  That failed,
for what are probably obvious reasons.

Bottom line: You can't talk to marketing people, bean counters, or
administrators about technical matters.  They just don't care.  Ignorance
and apathy killed HP, along with the wrong kind of greed.  They should have
listened to Gordon Gekko back in 1987.



On Aug 22, 2011, at 11:00, hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com wrote:

> Send HHC mailing list submissions to
>    hhc at lists.brouhaha.com
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    hhc-owner at lists.brouhaha.com
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific 
> than "Re: Contents of HHC digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. HP faw down, go boom? (martin cohen)
>   2. Re: HP faw down, go boom? (genela at comcast.net)
>   3. Press Chaos regarding HP (Richard J. Nelson)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 17:51:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: martin cohen <mjc_q at yahoo.com>
> Subject: HP faw down, go boom?
> To: hhc at lists.brouhaha.com
> Message-ID:
>    <1313974307.53532.YahooMailClassic at web112508.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Any ideas how HP's leaving the PC business will effect its calculators in
general and HHC 2011 in particular?
> 
> 
> 
> --- On Mon, 8/1/11, hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com
<hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com> wrote:
> 
> From: hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com <hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com>
> Subject: HHC Digest, Vol 41, Issue 2
> To: hhc at lists.brouhaha.com
> Date: Monday, August 1, 2011, 4:26 PM
> 
> Send HHC mailing list submissions to
> ??? hhc at lists.brouhaha.com
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit ??? 
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to ??? 
> hhc-request at lists.brouhaha.com
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at ??? 
> hhc-owner at lists.brouhaha.com
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific 
> than "Re: Contents of HHC digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
> ???1. Re: Hotel Reservations, etc. (Carl J. Morris) ???2. Hotel 
> Reservations, etc. TWO rooms left. (Richard J. Nelson)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:02:45 -0700
> From: "Carl J. Morris" <tofu at dslextreme.com>
> Subject: Re: Hotel Reservations, etc.
> To: "Handheld Computing Conference discussion list"
> ??? <hhc at lists.brouhaha.com>
> Message-ID: <A70F775F64F74F8E975A0A7CD72EF0D3 at ecs1>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> The quantity available has been reduded by 1.
> I just took 1 by calling the "800" number.
> Thanks Richard for the reminder.? It prompted me to call.
> Carl Morris
> ? ----- Original Message -----
> ? From: Richard J. Nelson
> ? To: Handheld Computing Conference discussion list ? Sent: Monday, 
> August 01, 2011 11:28 AM ? Subject: Hotel Reservations, etc.
> 
> 
> ? Hello HHCers,
> 
> ???
> 
> ? The added block of five hotel rooms now have three remaining, and the
Conference is next month.
> 
> ???
> 
> ? Just like HHC 2007 it seems that San Diego is a popular location.? The
weak dollar is bringing in attendees from Europe and the new topics of
discussion are going to make this an exceptional event.
> 
> ???
> 
> ? An HHC is one of the few means an HP calculator user has to directly
interface with the staff at HP.
> 
> ???
> 
> ? I haven't has so many different HP calculators in use on my desk for a
long time.? 
> 
> ???
> 
> ? Websites come and go and the specualtion of what is coming is keeping
the internet chatter well fueld.? As usual all will be discussed and
expalined at HHC 2011 and past attendees are on the sidelines simply smiling
and enjoying the chatter.
> 
> ???
> 
> ? I look forward to seeing you all at the Holliday Inn on Friday evening.?
The committee will be busy setting up - doing actual physical work if HHC
2007 is a measure - during the afternoon.
> 
> ???
> 
> ? Please let me, or any committee member, know if you have any questions,
issues, or suggestions.
> 
> ???
> 
> ???
> 
> ? X < > Y,
> 
> ???
> 
> ? Richard
> 
> ???
> 
> ???
> 
> ? Richard J. Nelson
> 
> ? Nelson Consulting
> 
> ? Editor HP Solve
> 
> ? Home:? 480-584-4453? Message - You must speak for me to pick up
> 
> ? Cell:? ???949-296-5406? (on 24/7)
> 
> ? 8344 E. Desert Trail
> 
> ? Mesa, AZ 85208-4737
> 
> ? Calcfan, eMail rjnelsoncf at cox.net
> 
> ???
> 
> ? Attend HHC 2011; See http://hhuc.us/2011/???
> 
> ???Please note:? Because I correspond with many people both in and 
> outside of
> 
> ? HP, I treat my correspondence as public domain.? If you have 
> something you
> 
> ? would like to be kept confidential, please indicate what it is.? I 
> will assume that
> 
> ? I may publish email related to calculators in? HP Solve. If you 
> correspond
> 
> ? with me you must specifically tell me if anything you say should be 
> kept
> 
> ? confidential.? Because? HP Solve has a worldwide readership I would 
> also like
> 
> ? to know where you live; Country and city.
> 
> ???
> 
> ???
> 
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --------
> 
> 
> ? _______________________________________________
> ? HHC mailing list
> ? HHC at lists.brouhaha.com
> ? http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110801/41eb3568/
> attachment-0001.html
> -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: image/gif
> Size: 179 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url : 
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110801/41eb3568/
> attachment-0001.gif
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:25:13 -0700
> From: "Richard J. Nelson" <rjnelsoncf at cox.net>
> Subject: Hotel Reservations, etc. TWO rooms left.
> To: "'Handheld Computing Conference discussion list'"
> ??? <hhc at lists.brouhaha.com>
> Message-ID: <000c01cc50a2$43bdfbb0$cb39f310$@cox.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Thanks Carl for letting us know.? Two rooms left.? I will "beg" for 
> more, but only if you all let me know.
> 
> 
> 
> This is the closest hotel to the Conference.
> 
> 
> 
> X < > Y,
> 
> 
> 
> Richard
> 
> 
> 
> Richard J. Nelson
> 
> Nelson Consulting
> 
> Editor HP Solve
> 
> Home:? 480-584-4453? Message - You must speak for me to pick up
> 
> Cell:? ???949-296-5406? (on 24/7)
> 
> 8344 E. Desert Trail
> 
> Mesa, AZ 85208-4737
> 
> Calcfan, eMail? <mailto:rjnelsoncf at cox.net> rjnelsoncf at cox.net
> 
> 
> 
> Attend HHC 2011; See? <http://hhuc.us/2011/> http://hhuc.us/2011/???
> 
> Please note:? Because I correspond with many people both in and 
> outside of
> 
> HP, I treat my correspondence as public domain.? If you have something 
> you
> 
> would like to be kept confidential, please indicate what it is.? I 
> will assume that
> 
> I may publish email related to calculators in? HP Solve. If you 
> correspond
> 
> with me you must specifically tell me if anything you say should be 
> kept
> 
> confidential.? Because? HP Solve has a worldwide readership I would 
> also like
> 
> to know where you live; Country and city.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> From: hhc-bounces at lists.brouhaha.com 
> [mailto:hhc-bounces at lists.brouhaha.com]
> On Behalf Of Carl J. Morris
> Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 1:03 PM
> To: Handheld Computing Conference discussion list
> Subject: Re: Hotel Reservations, etc.
> 
> 
> 
> The quantity available has been reduced by 1.
> 
> I just took 1 by calling the "800" number.
> 
> Thanks Richard for the reminder.? It prompted me to call.
> 
> Carl Morris
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> 
> From: Richard J. Nelson <mailto:rjnelsoncf at cox.net>? 
> 
> To: Handheld Computing Conference discussion list 
> <mailto:hhc at lists.brouhaha.com>?
> 
> Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 11:28 AM
> 
> Subject: Hotel Reservations, etc.
> 
> 
> 
> Hello HHCers,
> 
> 
> 
> The added block of five hotel rooms now have three remaining, and the 
> Conference is next month.
> 
> 
> 
> Just like HHC 2007 it seems that San Diego is a popular location.? The 
> weak dollar is bringing in attendees from Europe and the new topics of 
> discussion are going to make this an exceptional event.
> 
> 
> 
> An HHC is one of the few means an HP calculator user has to directly 
> interface with the staff at HP.
> 
> 
> 
> I haven't has so many different HP calculators in use on my desk for a 
> long time.?
> 
> 
> 
> Websites come and go and the specualtion of what is coming is keeping 
> the internet chatter well fueld.? As usual all will be discussed and 
> expalined at HHC 2011 and past attendees are on the sidelines simply 
> smiling and enjoying the chatter.
> 
> 
> 
> I look forward to seeing you all at the Holliday Inn on Friday 
> evening.? The committee will be busy setting up - doing actual 
> physical work if HHC 2007 is a measure - during the afternoon.
> 
> 
> 
> Please let me, or any committee member, know if you have any 
> questions, issues, or suggestions.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> X < > Y,
> 
> 
> 
> Richard
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Richard J. Nelson
> 
> Nelson Consulting
> 
> Editor HP Solve
> 
> Home:? 480-584-4453? Message - You must speak for me to pick up
> 
> Cell:? ???949-296-5406? (on 24/7)
> 
> 8344 E. Desert Trail
> 
> Mesa, AZ 85208-4737
> 
> Calcfan, eMail rjnelsoncf at cox.net
> 
> 
> 
> Attend HHC 2011; See? <http://hhuc.us/2011/> http://hhuc.us/2011/???
> 
> Please note:? Because I correspond with many people both in and 
> outside of
> 
> HP, I treat my correspondence as public domain.? If you have something 
> you
> 
> would like to be kept confidential, please indicate what it is.? I 
> will assume that
> 
> I may publish email related to calculators in? HP Solve. If you 
> correspond
> 
> with me you must specifically tell me if anything you say should be 
> kept
> 
> confidential.? Because? HP Solve has a worldwide readership I would 
> also like
> 
> to know where you live; Country and city.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ? _____? 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> HHC mailing list
> HHC at lists.brouhaha.com
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc
> 
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110801/0b576e38/
> attachment.html
> -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: image/gif
> Size: 179 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url : 
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110801/0b576e38/
> attachment.gif
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> HHC mailing list
> HHC at lists.brouhaha.com
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc
> 
> End of HHC Digest, Vol 41, Issue 2
> **********************************
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110821/4e5de080/
> attachment-0001.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 02:32:10 +0000 (UTC)
> From: genela at comcast.net
> Subject: Re: HP faw down, go boom?
> To: Handheld Computing Conference discussion list
>    <hhc at lists.brouhaha.com>
> Message-ID:
>    
> <1423392350.551095.1313980330367.JavaMail.root at sz0096a.westchester.pa.
> mail.comcast.net>
>    
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Several discussions on the hp museum. I would suggest going there to read
them. 
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110822/c1f980c5/
> attachment-0001.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:59:14 -0700
> From: "Richard J. Nelson" <rjnelsoncf at cox.net>
> Subject: Press Chaos regarding HP
> To: "Handheld Computing Conference discussion list"
>    <hhc at lists.brouhaha.com>
> Message-ID: <003801cc60f5$3467e5a0$9d37b0e0$@cox.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Hello HHCers,
> 
> 
> 
> Many of you have been reading the many press articles regarding HP 
> spinning off or selling their PC produt line.
> 
> 
> 
> Because calcualtors are part of that product "group" many questions 
> have been raised regarding the future.
> 
> 
> 
> Will HHC 2011 continue?  Yes, of course, and Cyrille, HP's Calculator 
> R&D Manager is flying in from France to attend.
> 
> 
> 
> Regarding our hotel being sold out.  I have just made arrangements for 
> seven more rooms to be adeed to our reserved block.  The previously added
five
> rooms filled up quickly.    
> 
> 
> 
> We have more calculator designers attending this conference than I can 
> remember of any previous conference in the last ten years.
> 
> 
> 
> While I don't have any more information than the press I can 
> confidently offer a few thoughts.  HP calculators are profitable, 
> apparently much more profitable than PC's.  This is always an 
> important consideration when managers start swinging the ax in 
> situations like this.  The other critical "fact" to keep in mind is 
> that HP has said that it will be 12 to 18 months before they are able 
> to study and make any changes.  Another consideration is that HP is 
> not financially "ill" and they are not in a panic mode as some press
"analysts" might project.
> 
> 
> 
> I found the short commentary at the link below especially interesting.
> 
> 
> 
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/education/the-touchpad-and-hps-future-in-edu
> cation
> /4673?tag=nl.e623
> 
> 
> 
> Everyone has an "explaination" for what is happening.  From an 
> overview perspective the root cause seems to be the MBA mentality.  
> Rooted in this is the lack of (as in meaningless) many values that we, 
> as customers, respect in a company.  Long term thinking is now reduced 
> to a few quarters and five year plans are a historical footnote.
> 
> 
> 
> The HP calculator market is 40 years old and a single product, the 
> HP-12C has been manufactured for 32 years (July 4, 1980 is oldest 
> known HP-12C based on the serial number).  This is an incredable 
> product history in consumer electronics.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Aside from the many press points of view being expressed as to why HP 
> is now in a position of a decling company I think that there is one
primary reason.
> It is the same reason the total economy is down.  The article at the 
> link above says it clearly.  In one word, instability.  The most 
> important aspect of any business investment is having confidence (real 
> or believed) of what to expect.  When the HP Board made their press 
> release they "killed" the confidence of their customers.  That was a very
bad move.
> 
> 
> 
> Calculators are quite different compared to PC's.  It will be a long 
> time before we will see changes at calcualtors and everyone is going 
> forward with the current projects.  This topic will be one to more 
> seriously discuss at HHC 2012.
> 
> 
> 
> The HHC Committee; Joseph K. Horn, Gene Wright, Jake Schwartz, Wlodek 
> Mier-Jedrzjowicz and I look forward to an exciting Conference - with 
> way too much to talk about.  We will work it all out, just as we have
always done.
> 
> 
> 
> X < > Y,
> 
> 
> 
> Richard
> 
> P.S.  What do you all do with your calculators.  I find that 
> everything revolves around the computer and computer desk top space is 
> at a premium.  I build a custom "U" shaped table so I have desk space 
> on both sides as well as in front.  Here is how I solved my 
> stacks-of-calculators problem.  I build a stand that may easily be 
> moved if needed.  It holds 25 to 30 calcualtors and I can find the one 
> I need easily and conviently.  After using it for couple of weeks I 
> would make one suggestion.  Tilt it back a little more (it is now at 
> 30 degrees).  Because the machines are tapered the top (front most) 
> ones are nearly vertical and slightly unstable.  The case angle adds up
fast when there are seven machines in a stack.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Richard J. Nelson
> 
> Nelson Consulting
> 
> Editor HP Solve
> 
> Home:  480-584-4453  Message - You must speak for me to pick up
> 
> Cell:     949-296-5406  (on 24/7)
> 
> 8344 E. Desert Trail
> 
> Mesa, AZ 85208-4737
> 
> Calcfan, eMail rjnelsoncf at cox.net
> 
> 
> 
> Attend HHC 2011; See  <http://hhuc.us/2011/> http://hhuc.us/2011/   
> 
> Please note:  Because I correspond with many people both in and 
> outside of
> 
> HP, I treat my correspondence as public domain.  If you have something 
> you
> 
> would like to be kept confidential, please indicate what it is.  I 
> will assume that
> 
> I may publish email related to calculators in  HP Solve. If you 
> correspond
> 
> with me you must specifically tell me if anything you say should be 
> kept
> 
> confidential.  Because  HP Solve has a worldwide readership I would 
> also like
> 
> to know where you live; Country and city.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110822/44dd21c4/
> attachment.html
> -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: image/jpeg
> Size: 69344 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url : 
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/pipermail/hhc/attachments/20110822/44dd21c4/
> attachment.jpe
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> HHC mailing list
> HHC at lists.brouhaha.com
> http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc
> 
> End of HHC Digest, Vol 41, Issue 3
> **********************************
_______________________________________________
HHC mailing list
HHC at lists.brouhaha.com
http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/hhc



More information about the HHC mailing list