HHC Digest, Vol 43, Issue 15

Brian Walsh bpwalsh at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 17 14:05:28 PDT 2011

Interesting comments. A couple of months ago I bought another HP laptop to replace the one I've been using and like it. It wasn't just because
it's an HP but because the price and performance were excellent. I guess I'll see how it turns out.

On a related note but slightly off topic:
By around the end of next week I will be receiving a customized HP TouchSmart PC, to be dedicated for use as a high performance music server. The
internal hard drive is replaced with a 30 GB SSD, and everything unnecessary under Windows 7 for its function is stripped out. An external USB
hard drive and/or NAS is used for music storage. Music is played back from memory rather than from disc, which is a feature available in J. River
Media Center, the software used for playback and disc ripping.

Brian

>Message: 1
>Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 20:07:10 -0700
>From: "Richard" richard1941 at gmail.com>
>Subject: RE: HP PC's
>To: "'Handheld Computing Conference discussion list'"
>	hhc at lists.brouhaha.com>
>
>Thanks for that warning.  I was just about to go to Fry's and buy an HP
>computer!   I guess I'll get something else now.

>Message: 2
>Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 20:16:58 -0700
>From: David Ramsey dramsey at neko.com>
>Subject: Re: HP PC's
>To: Handheld Computing Conference discussion list
>	hhc at lists.brouhaha.com>
>
>Well, HP PCs are commodities, for the most part, built with the same care and attention of a Dell or Gateway. Certainly nothing to write home
about.

>HP used to have a nice boutique operation called Voodoo PC, who made the wonderful Blackbird computer, but a couple of years after they bought
Voodoo they closed it down.

>Their servers (Z800 series) are very nice, but quite expensive.
>
>Honestly, unless you go for a customized system (Falcon Northwest, Cyberpower, Alienware, etc.) or a Mac you're gonna get the same commodity
components in the same cheap case. The biggest problem is scrubbing all the bloatware off the system.