HHC Digest, Vol 43, Issue 15

Gerald Schultz Gerald.Schultz at fox.com
Mon Oct 17 15:21:04 PDT 2011

Back in July, I ordered a dv7t Quad HP Laptop with the permission of my CFO (wife) for my birthday.  We use HP PC hardware here at work and have always had good support.  I got a good price on it and when it arrived, it had problems with the Blu-ray drive.  I was given the choice of replacing the Blu-ray or exchanging the whole laptop.  I went with the exchange as the problem was most likely the MB itself (the Blu-ray drive would disappear from Win7 and when I reseated the SATA connector on the bottom of the MB, it would reappear for a while).  I had real run-arounds with customer support which pissed me off.  In the end, I got the replacement laptop with 8 GB of RAM rather than 6 GB for $7 less.  They also sent the new laptop with the wrong battery so they let me keep it and sent me the battery I had ordered for free.  The laptop runs great but I think HP's customer support stinks.

Here's the kicker for me.  When I felt confident this laptop was working properly, I tried to install Starry Night Pro Plus (an astronomy program) and it would freeze during the installation.  After a couple of rounds of exchanging emails with tech support, they suggested I try loading the latest video card drivers from HP's website.  I questioned this as the laptop was only two weeks old and I assumed I already had the latest video drivers (this laptop has two video cards, an ATI Radeon 6770 and built-in Intel display; the OS selects the hardware depending upon the application).  So I installed the new video drivers and now Starry Night Pro Plus loads up and works great!  Goes to show you I should not make assumptions about new PCs having the latest Windows 7 image on the boot drive.

Gerry