One Last HP PSG reference - with numbers.

Richard J. Nelson rjnelsoncf at cox.net
Sun Oct 30 10:06:16 PDT 2011

Aside from the issue of How the change was handled is the question of moving HP from a hardware based company to a software based company.

Leo, the previous president, had a strong (SAP) software background and that is what he knew.

Maximizing corporate income is the goal of the board, but to completely change the company in one big move is too disruptive regardless of what the board is thinking of.  Of course the rate of change of everything these days is accelerating so the term gradual change is relative.

One issue is very clear.  HP is too BIG!  Its operational efficiency is too low.  It really needs to reorganize and streamline its management structure and product groups.  From the calculator perspective they have been doing that by integrating  calculators into a larger group.  I wonder what the politics of revenue sharing are.  Calculators are a commodity and HP is shifting into a different business, one that should have been a vision move years ago.