More HHC 2013 Info

Richard J. Nelson rjnelsoncf at cox.net
Fri Sep 27 09:46:48 PDT 2013

Hello HHCers,

Eric Rechlin has up loaded the videos of the HHC 2013 conference at:

https://www.youtube.com/user/hpcalcorg/videos

This adds to the previous videos starting with HHC 2010.

In addition to the HHC 2013 Conference we had special custom tours of NIST
and NOOA.  It was touch and go for attendees because of the very heavy
flooding in the area a week before and we were not sure of the road
situation.  When secondary roads get washed out the traffic increases on the
primary roads and added travel time is required.

All the tours were excellent and it is exciting to see the actual labs and
talk to the researchers that make the news in original research.  Accurate
time is turning out to be a wonderful standard for other measurements as
well as demonstrating gravitational influences.  When an atomic clock runs
at a different speed on one floor compared to the floor above it you know
that it has a very good resolution and stability.  A difference of three
feet is noticeable.

One exciting bit of news in time standards is the changes being made to WWVB
at 50 Kilohertz.  By adding a phase shift to the signal (in March of this
year) a tiny IC like antenna will enable wrist watches  to sync to the
signal providing exceptional accuracy.  Now power plants, road lights, and
other devices may be much more accurate at a low cost.  Look for
consumer/commercial products using the NIST developed technology in early
2014.

It is possible to use the NIST Conference facilities for an HHC Conference
but at a higher cost.  Of course the cost will depend on the number of
attendees but it will be more than double our highest cost of $50.  They
have state of the art facilities and we could even web broadcast the
conference.  I won't get the numbers unless a few people inquire.