HHC 2013 observations/Programming

David Hayden dave at larou.com
Fri Sep 27 11:00:49 PDT 2013

On 9/27/2013 1:39 PM, Eric Rechlin wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> That's exactly how my company works.  We hire people with zero programming
> experience, put them through a 4 week training course, and then have them
> write code.  Most often, we suggest taking some existing code, copying it,
> and modifying it until it does what they want.  This is a pretty common
> thing.  I think the HR people you are familiar with are not very
> knowledgeable.
No, Richard is right, but the reason is subtle.  Companies want to hire
a person with EXACTLY the right experience  because, when they don't
find the person, they can make a case for bringing someone in on an H1B
visa and paying them well below the going rate.  Companies cry about a
shortage of IT workers and how they have to bring in foreign workers,
but they really just want to pay less and pretending that there's a
shortage of workers is an easy way to do it.

Please note that I'm complaining about the corporate practices here, not
the people who take advantage of the program to come to America.  I have
a lot of respect and admiration for anyone who can leave their home and
come here.

Dave