zapping NiCAD Cells

Richard J. Nelson rjnelsoncf at cox.net
Sun Jul 13 08:33:10 MDT 2014

Hello again,

I made a quick Internet check.  See:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/increasing_battery_power_by_zappi
ng  for some comments.  No mention of whiskers however.  Here is a quote.

"To zap a NiCd battery, a 47,000mF capacitor is charged to 90V, after which
the raw power is discharged directly across a single NiCd cell of 1.2V.
After the shock treatment, the cell is cycled and then zapped once more.
Experts say that once a cell is treated and used in service, zapping will no
longer improve performance, nor does it regenerate a weak cell."

Richard Nelson Consulting

Technical Editor HP Solve

Email:   <mailto:rjnelsoncf at cox.net> rjnelsoncf at cox.net,
<mailto:hpsolve at hp.com> hpsolve at hp.com
Wired phone:  (480) 584-4453 Listen to end and speak or I won't pick up.
Mobile phone: (949) 296-5406
Skype Name: Calcfan
Physical Address:
Fountain of the Sun

HHC Conferences may be found at:   <http://hhuc.us/> http://hhuc.us

The photos, articles, and reports on these historical sites are especially
nice.

Please note:  Because I correspond with many people both in and outside of

HP, I treat my correspondence as public domain.  If you have something you

would like to be kept confidential, please indicate what it is.  I will
otherwise

assume that I may publish email related to calculators in HP Solve. If you

correspond with me you must specifically tell me if anything you say should

be kept confidential.  Because HP Solve has a worldwide readership I would

also like to know where you live; Country and city.