Making A Magnet - Off topic

Richard J. Nelson rjnelsoncf at cox.net
Sun Jul 20 09:15:40 MDT 2014

What an interesting idea.

I will have to test this with known wire sizes.  Circuit breaker
characteristics vary greatly and they don't respond very fast unless the
current is many times their rating.  I wonder how long you could get away
with, say, 100+ ampere current draws and I suspect it could be several AC
cycles.  Certainly a piece of wire is much cheaper than using an actual
fuse.

Another thought is to use an NTC thermistor inrush current limiter.  They
make some very low resistance (as low as 0.2 ohms) high energy values (30
Jules) these days.

My favorite way to make a magnet is to use an iron rod hanging on a string.
Orient it parallel with the earth's magnetic field (pointing to magnetic
north - check where it is these days because it is moving 20 miles a year
into Canada - and tilted slightly upwards if you are in the US - and then
rapping it sharply with a hammer.  Presto, it is detectably magnetized.

I use magnets a lot and I use a dozen magnetic tool holders.  My Philips
head screwdrivers get magnetized all the time and I use a demagnetizer I
made ten years ago as shown in the photo below.  The coil ID is 2-3/4" and
it is very effective.  There is a transformer inside the old data cable
switching cabinet.  The power switch is a spring loaded off type.  I have
tried all kinds of demagnetizers and none of them are as effective as this
one.  The coil is 14 Ga. house wiring and the turns were determined for
maximum 2x current draw from the transformer.

Perhaps I can use the same coil and add a switch to magnetize or demagnetize
adding a small wire fuse holder/fixture as shown in the second photo.