Making A Magnet - Off topic

Roger Hill rhill at siue.edu
Sun Jul 20 16:21:04 MDT 2014

Hi Richard and all,

Maybe there were other metal objects (or magnets) around the room
interfering with the earth's magnetic field.  Also, I'm not sure
whether an annealed (soft) or non-annealed (hard) rod is best.  I
think the harder material keeps its magnetization better, but it
might also be harder to magnetize.  Maybe you could try it with a
screwdriver, which is known to be easily magnetizale.

I was in a restaurant (don't remember which one) a few months ago and
found that my knife was quite strongly magnetized -- not just on a
staple-picking-up level, but strong enough to feel that it was
sticking to other utensils and just enough to pick them up.  (I
didn't try hanging it from a string to find out which end was the
north pole.)  Not sure how it got that way......

-- Roger

------------ On Richard N's message ------------