HHC 2014 Location is decided - better late than never?

Joseph K. Horn joehorn at holyjoe.net
Sat May 24 07:21:36 MDT 2014

Richard and Roger --

If the "formula" for HHC dates becomes a topic for the conference, PLEASE
warn me ahead of time so that I can vacate the premises during that
discussion.  It's one of my pet peeves.

In the past 15 years, all of the following HHC dates have violated the
"formula" even when religious holidays are taken into account:

1999 (Aug 21-22; that's before Sep 15)
2000 (Sep 9-10; that's before Sep 15)
2002 (Sep 21-22; Sep 21 was Sukkot; the conference should have been Sep
28-29)
2004 (Sep 25-26; Sep 25 was Yom Kippur; the conference should have been Sep
18-19)
2008 (Sep 27-28; the conference should have been Sep 20-21)
2009 (Oct 3-4; the conference should have been Sep 26-27)
2011 (Sep 24-25; the conference should have been Sep 17-18)
2012 (Sep 22-23; the conference should have been Sep 15-16 unless the 15th
is excluded from the "formula")

The formula (if we are to be perfectly honest) is currently this: "The first
weekend after September 15th, unless that weekend includes a religious
holiday, unless that religious holiday is one of the ones that we
unpredictably ignore, and except for the other random exceptions that are
unpredictably made roughly 50% of the time."

A "formula" which cannot be used to determine past events, nor used to
predict future events, should not be called a "formula".

-Joe-