CES aftermath :-)

Richard J. Nelson rjnelsoncf at cox.net
Wed Jan 11 10:21:13 MST 2017

Hello HHCers,

Happy New year to all.

Gunther is correct and Richard is also correct.  Please let me clarify.

During the last 5 or 6+ years the large number of justifications I had to attend CES have disappeared.  One of the major ones is the fact that HP (calculators) hasn’t had a booth.  See the attachment ( I hope it comes through, email me if you are interested) for a series of photos of the HP booths from 2004 to 2010.  The list of reasons to attend has shrunk to near zero.  Catching up on some of my interests – the primary reason for most attendance – is one of the two remaining reasons to attend.  The other is seeing old friends from around the world.

While my list of reasons to attend CES (after more than 40 CES’s) have declined the reasons to not attend has superseded it.  I had to rent a car to drive to Las Vegas for 2016 because the day before my old 1995 Chevy just up and died (no power steering).  I sold it to a teenager for $20.  When I got back I bought a used car (2014).  Registration and insurance is based on the year of the vehicle and I enjoyed very low costs for the Chevy.  Now my costs – all due in January have GREATLY increased, especially insurance.  Being retired on a fixed income – meaning that every penny you will spend for the rest of your life is in your hand – I decided to be conservative (I hate debt) and not spend the money to attend CES.  It was a difficult decision and I had to ignore many of the news reports of what was to be seen just to keep the “stress” to a minimum.

Regarding HHC 2017.  Cost is also an issue for me and the HHC’s along with CES travel is a strain on my retired discretionary spending.  The HHC Committee does a GREAT job and they make it happen.  My sincere thanks to them.  Richard is right in that the interest in calculator computation is declining and we had a wakeup call at HHC 2016.  Check the videos for some of HPs comments and read my Committee report attached.  I hope it to arrives.  If not, email me and  I will find another way to make it available.

Now is the time to discuss HHC 2017’s location.  We have the resources for one last HHC.  Creating these resources as described in the   Finance Report was caused by the HP changes a few years ago.  Let’s now make a list of HHC suggested locations.  Gene says Nashville is always a possibility.

Richard Nelson Consulting

Technical Editor HP Solve

Email:  rjnelsoncf at cox.net <mailto:rjnelsoncf at cox.net> ,   hpsolve at hp.com <mailto:hpsolve at hp.com>
Wired phone:  (480) 584-4453 Listen to end and speak or I won't pick up.
Mobile phone: (949) 296-5406
Skype Name: Calcfan
Physical Address:
Fountain of the Sun

HHC Conferences may be found at:  http://hhuc.us <http://hhuc.us/>

The photos, articles, and reports on these historical sites are especially nice.

Please note:  Because I correspond with many people both in and outside of

HP, I treat my correspondence as public domain.  If you have something you

would like to be kept confidential, please indicate what it is.  I will otherwise

assume that I may publish email related to calculators in HP Solve. If you

correspond with me you must specifically tell me if anything you say should

be kept confidential.  Because HP Solve has a worldwide readership I would

also like to know where you live; Country and city.