CES aftermath :-)

David Hayden dave at larou.com
Wed Jan 11 19:45:07 MST 2017

As always, I want to thank Richard, the rest of the committee and the HP
folks (especially Tim) for all their time and effort to make the
conferences a reality.  I really enjoy them and would continue to even
if HP exited the calculator market.

Personally, I would hate to see money prevent Richard or Tim from being
able to attend. I'd be happy to help subsidize their travel and I
suspect many other members would too.  This could take the form of a
higher conference fee or just direct donations.

Dave

On 1/11/2017 12:21 PM, Richard J. Nelson wrote:

> Hello HHCers,
>
> Happy New year to all.
>
> Gunther is correct and Richard is also correct.  Please let me clarify.
>
> During the last 5 or 6+ years the large number of justifications I had
> to attend CES have disappeared.  One of the major ones is the fact
> that HP (calculators) hasn’t had a booth.  See the attachment ( I hope
> it comes through, email me if you are interested) for a series of
> photos of the HP booths from 2004 to 2010.  The list of reasons to
> attend has shrunk to near zero.  Catching up on some of my interests –
> the primary reason for most attendance – is one of the two remaining
> reasons to attend.  The other is seeing old friends from around the world.
>
> While my list of reasons to attend CES (after more than 40 CES’s) have
> declined the reasons to not attend has superseded it.  I had to rent a
> car to drive to Las Vegas for 2016 because the day before my old 1995
> Chevy just up and died (no power steering).  I sold it to a teenager
> for $20.  When I got back I bought a used car (2014).  Registration
> and insurance is based on the year of the vehicle and I enjoyed very
> low costs for the Chevy.  Now my costs – all due in January have
> GREATLY increased, especially insurance.  Being retired on a fixed
> income – meaning that every penny you will spend for the rest of your
> life is in your hand – I decided to be conservative (I hate debt) and
> not spend the money to attend CES.  It was a difficult decision and I
> had to ignore many of the news reports of what was to be seen just to
> keep the “stress” to a minimum.
>
> Regarding HHC 2017.  Cost is also an issue for me and the HHC’s along
> with CES travel is a strain on my retired discretionary spending.  The
> HHC Committee does a GREAT job and they make it happen.  My sincere
> thanks to them.  Richard is right in that the interest in calculator
> computation is declining and we had a wakeup call at HHC 2016.  Check
> the videos for some of HPs comments and read my Committee report
> attached.  I hope it to arrives.  If not, email me and  I will find
> another way to make it available.
>
> Now is the time to discuss HHC 2017’s location.  We have the resources
> for one last HHC.  Creating these resources as described in the
> Finance Report was caused by the HP changes a few years ago. *Let’s
> now make a list of HHC suggested locations.  Gene says Nashville is
> always a possibility.*

---