Collections

Eric Rechlin eric at hpcalc.org
Wed Jun 7 10:22:29 MDT 2017

Thanks for sharing that correspondence.  I can definitely see where both of
you are coming from.

I wonder if a compromise would be to digitize the entire collection.  I
realize that would be a huge undertaking, even with an automatic sheet-fed
scanner, but at least it would then preserve the information for future
researchers.  Storing the data would be almost free in comparison to storing
the actual documents.

I realize the actual documents may indeed have significance to future
scholars, but I think for the most part, the data contained in them is >90%
as good, and it's quite likely that nobody will step up to store them before
it's too late.  And if we don't digitize them before that happens, then even
the information contained in them will be gone forever, too.

Eric