Collections

Bruce A. Bergman bruceb at fatcity.com
Wed Jun 7 10:47:48 MDT 2017

Richard --

Very well written request, and a very well written reply from the
museum! I can't fault any of the logic. Even among my family and friends
circle, where my geeky passion sometimes sneaks out, this interest in
calculators just isn't of value to anyone. I think the only value any of
our collections have, is to other collectors of the same objects (like
in this group, or the HP Museum Forums). I just don't see anyone else
caring.

Even if there was a way to timelock the literature, hardware, software,
etc., to be brought back for a later generation, I think it's going to
be 100 years before anyone really wants to appreciate it. I think back
to the very early digital watches. Aside from a few exceptions (HP
included), there's almost no one who cares about curating those devices.
It was a blip on the timeline of technology, and not a big one either.

Although I love Eric's idea, the sheer volume of the endeavor makes me
cringe. It would be so hard. But I know among our calculator peers, it
would be appreciated. I would appreciate it, but I doubt I would have
any time (or energy) to take some pile of the literature and scan it in.
Sorry. :(

Probably a good topic for 30 minutes at the conference this fall...

Thanks for the transparency, and for putting everything into
perspective.

Bruce