Collections

Eric Rechlin eric at hpcalc.org
Wed Jun 7 14:37:00 MDT 2017

I agree that we should focus on only those things that haven't already been
scanned with satisfactory quality.  The whole point is to preserve history
so that nothing is gone forever.

I believe non-English literature is just as important as English-language
literature.  Alternate revisions might be good too but are less important.

So I think we should scan anything that is one-of-a-kind or hasn't already
been scanned. To my knowledge virtually all of the manuals have already been
scanned so that shouldn't be a priority, unless we want to make higher
quality scans.  But any conference proceedings, meeting notes, personal
correspondence, brochures that may not otherwise be online, etc, would be
most important.

On a similar topic, as my role has shifted from that of a curator of HP
calculator software to more of an historian (and this is going to be part of
my talk at HHC), I have been trying to put together all old versions of all
software that has ever been on my site, in order to complete the historic
record.  Over the last 20 years, whenever I have updated a file on my site,
I've dumped the old file into a folder.  At first it was a manual process,
and since late 2000 it's been automatic.

What I am now doing is going through those folders (one for pre-2000 and one
for post-2000) and matching up all the files to the record recording the
update, so all old versions can be obtained by anyone interested in the
evolution of the calculator programs over time.  These two folders may well
represent the only remaining copy of some of this data in the world (well,
along with my multiple backups), especially for versions of the programs
that may have only been on my site for a day or two before being updated.  I
estimate around 3300 need to be identified and cross-linked; I've done
around 1800 so far.  So that's been keeping me busy lately.

Eric