Privacy restrictions cont'd

Richard rjnelsoncf at cox.net
Fri May 25 13:49:03 MDT 2018

Hello,

I ran into the stronger European data protection at our calculator Conferences with the one sponsored by HPCC in 2007 when we took every ones photo to put on a badge.  I wanted to put them in a Conference report and was told that was not possible because of the privacy laws.  After much discussion and research I decided that since I was in the US I wasn’t subjected to those laws and I did what I usually do.

Privacy is a matter of degree as is gray between black and white.  It is a difficult tradeoff to make.  If you are used to a very restrictive environment you think that it is “normal”, if otherwise you think that it is strange and restrictive.

I suppose it is one of those technology advancing and social law trying to deal with the issues that this  raises.  I remember attending a CES (Consumer Electronics Show) with an author of books on technology – Charles Sippl.  He told me a story of his attending a video show with a loaned video camera (they were very BIG in the early days) being told that he could not video tape the video exhibits.  Your eyes may see it, but a “synthetic” eye cannot.  Recording something is different than just seeing it.  This is the social nature of human beings – we intuitively recognize our own limitations.