What goes into selecting a conference hotel

richard nineteenfortyone richard1941 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 16:53:02 MDT 2018

If what we need is more like a lecture hall, perhaps we could hold the
conference at a college.

The one big problem at a college, of course, is PARKING POLICE.

I do not need a hotel with an exercise room, a hot tub, and nude massage
girls.  (Yes, those are available just outside Carson City, if you have a
LOT of money.)

The Septics Toolbox conferences were formerly held at the University of
Oregon Eugene campus.  Meals were in the campus cafeteria, and the food was
amazingly good.  The lecture halls were OK, the lodging was in dorm rooms,
so cars could be parked far away and left for the four days.  Perhaps
something like that could be done at UNR.  At Oregon, some of the
conference organizers were U of O faculty.

The telescope maker workshops were formerly held on campus at Western
Washington University, Bellingham.   We had several lecture halls, and most
of the time at least two of them had some kind of presentation.  (My last
one was on polishing techniques for removing print through on light weight
ribbed mirrors.)  The food was not so great, but the cost was reasonable,
as we stayed in non-luxury hotels.  Plenty of good food at sane prices in
Bellingham.  Bellingham is actually a suburb of Vancouver, Canada, which
has an international airport.  Parking was not impossibly far from the
conference building.  The conference was supported by the WWU physics
department, the primary organizer was a captain in the Bellingham Fire
Department (and an incurable telescope nut).
.
Some persons may wish to avoid purchasing gasoline in Oregon. You can cross
Oregon on a full tank of gas if you fill up at the last gas station in
California and again at Vancouver, Washington.  Otherwise, the best
gasoline price around is Costco in Medford.  I-5 in the Portland area has
gridlocks that rival I-405 in the Los Angeles area.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 9:12 AM <dave at larou.com> wrote:

> At HHC2018, Richard mentioned the importance of selecting a location for
> the conferences and having someone nearby who can do some of the legwork.
> I asked for some details of what that involves. Here are my notes on his
> response.  Maybe Monte and Dave Ramsey can add anything they think of.
> They've both been the point person recently. Heck, we might even be able to
> create an RFP to give to prospective hotels.
>
> My hope is that this might encourage people to think about locations near
> them and become the "point person."
>
>    - Conference should be in the hotel if possible. Travel to another
>    location is always difficult and time consuming.
>    - Reasonable room rates for people
>    - Reasonable room rate for the conference room
>    - What are the taxes? Hotel taxes are often very high
>    - Short (or at least easy) travel from the airport.
>    - International airport for the folks flying in from abroad.
>    - Meals: you have to think about breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
>    - Can lunch be catered? How much? What is the menu?  It's usually
>    better to be on our own
>    - Are there restaurants nearby (walking distance?)  Will they be open
>    on the weekend?
>    - Does the hotel offer breakfast? Is it an extra charge? What do they
>    serve?
>    - Basically we need menu and cost for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
>    - Drinks and snacks in the conference room
>
> Regarding the conference room itself:
>
>    - What is the size?
>    - Where are power outlets? Can attendees access power?
>    - What sort of lecture display is available?  Projector? Monitor? Also
>    we need a pointer and a mouse.
>    - Is audio equipment available (microphone and speakers).
>    - Can we use the room during the hours we need (early Saturday am to
>    late Saturday PM and Sunday)
>    - Can we use the room for setup on Friday night?
>    - Can the room be locked Friday and Saturday nights? What about during
>    lunch and/or breaks?
>    - Generally we it needs to accommodate 50 people.
>    - Tables tables tables. Richard stressed that this is a chronic
>    problem. We need tables for the attendees plus an additional 5-7 tables for
>    the prize table, snacks & drinks, laptops for presentation etc.
>
> It occurs to me that what we need is more akin to a lecture hall than a
> conference room.
>

> Dave

NOT sent from that galldurned iPhone with its crippled bluetooth and
authoritarian restrictions.