HHC 2019 Conference update

Eric Rechlin eric at hpcalc.org
Thu Aug 8 11:38:37 MDT 2019

Among the four biggest airlines in the US, the three biggest, Southwest,
American, and United, are all affected by it (Delta, at #4, doesn't have any
MAXes or plans to get any, as they shift to Airbus).

American is least affected because they have only 24 of the MAX planes out
of over 700 in that class since they mostly fly Airbus, along with a couple
dozen MD-80s.  United is in a similar situation, with 14 planes grounded out
of over 500 in that class, though the planes they are flying are mostly
older 737s, with many due to be replaced soon with MAXes so as the planes
age and the grounding continues, so United will be affected more than
American.

Southwest is the worst hit.  While they only had 34 of the MAXes in service
at the time of grounding, their fleet of over 700 exclusively 737s is mostly
made up 737-700s that were supposed to be replaced beginning this year, so
that's really starting to hurt them as delivery dates get postponed.

So the fleets of the planes used for most domestic flights are down a bit
under 5% on average for the big three, which seems enough to hurt available
seats considering how full airlines are nowadays, but it will get
increasingly worse as projected deliveries aren't able to be made.

Houston's two international airports are major hubs for United
(Intercontinental Airport) and Southwest (Hobby Airport), so I'm
particularly affected.  I'm connecting through Las Vegas with travel times
of close to 7 hours including layover, just to keep it somewhat affordable.

Eric