[Intel-devsys] Tauntek/Grieb Z80 and 8080 ICEs

Paul Birkel pbirkel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 12:20:49 MDT 2019

Herb;

For possible reference:
https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=builderpages:gary_kaufman:z80
ice

POC:  Gary Kaufman <gekaufman at gmail.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: intel-devsys-bounces at lists.brouhaha.com
[mailto:intel-devsys-bounces at lists.brouhaha.com] On Behalf Of Herb Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 1:58 PM
To: Discussion list for Intel development systems
Subject: [Intel-devsys] Tauntek/Grieb Z80 and 8080 ICEs

http://www.retrotechnology.com/aux/ice_z80.html

Someone contacted me today, about obtaining "a Z80 emulator kit" from
me. (They had the wrong processor for the wrong purpose, but that's not
why I called here.) They apparently stumbled over my Web page, where in
2009 I displayed information about Bob Grieb's Z80ICE device. As many of
you know, this board interrupts access to the Z80 with a PIC processor,
to capture events and instructions for hardware/software debugging.

Bob offered this kit in 2009, developing it with some support from me
and others; I got an early model of this and his later 8080 ICE. I
produced the Z80 ICE Web page noted.

LAter, when Bob decided not to continue production of the board, he made
his PC design files and binaries available on his Web site; for both the
8080 and Z80 models. He produces other items of this sort, and offers
design services of this sort. I have not contacted him in a few years.

I'm calling today, because a few of "us" have suggested "I got Bob's
files and I'm going to produce the ?? ICE". I don't recall if they
planned to produce the 8080 boards (more likely) or the Z80 boards. In
any event, I"ve not heard that I recall, a post announcing some boards
and/or parts to be available.

So: any progress? any interest? any further information on Bob Grieb?

Regards, Herb

PS: from Web searching "z80 ice tauntek";' see the struggles of "ultra
newbee" with Xilinx programming in 2018 to build the emulator:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/Ultra-newbee-seeking-guidance-to-
program-a-XC9536-with-Xilinx/td-p/839301

the 5-volt CPLD is not in production so one must scrounge them from
eBay. The Web search finds other examples of persons in the last few
years, trying to build this same project.

PPS: Annoyingly, there's a (expletive deleted) kid who in early 2019,
just la-de-dah, put an ARM processor on a 40-pin DIP sized multi-layer
board, SDcard and USB, etc;  who claims to not only real-time emulate a
Z80, but alternatively a 6502, some graphics logic, and so on. Ta-la-la,
here's the games it runs on this vintage-game-platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdode3PfTbs

"IZE80, an in-circuit emulator for Z80 systems in action in an MSX"
by "plgDavid".

Of course - it's just a video. Where do you get it? Doesn't claim he
offers any. Where's his Web site? just has a YouTube channel and a
Twitter account "twitter.com/plgDavid". "shown at MagFest 2019" - a
gamers' convention.

"David's" replies about getting one are "it's in beta", "need to ramp
production", "don't know when to do the 6809", and so on. His "about"
page says he's a "digital archeologist" with references to
"synthesizers" and "gaming, hacks and emulation".

Words fail me.

regards,
Herb
http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net