[Intel-devsys] Tauntek/Grieb Z80 and 8080 ICEs

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.com
Tue Aug 6 16:57:02 MDT 2019

On 8/6/2019 2:20 PM, Paul Birkel wrote:
> Herb;
>
> For possible reference:
> https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=builderpages:gary_kaufman:z80
> ice
>
> POC:  Gary Kaufman <gekaufman at gmail.com>

Thanks for the reference. note the link must be a single line when used.
He does lay out all the problems, which amount to the challenges of
resurrecting an ever-older small programmed-logic tool; when the parts
are out of production, the software to support the tools is obsolete.
I've avoided using such devices except as a buyer of a thing. Other
people seem to use these devices  and say great things about them. I
guess they change their tools and parts as needed, to keep up with
fashion.

The retrobrewcomputers.org page, is dated "2016/03/09". There's a forum
where a "gkaufman" posted recently. A search found NO discussion of the
Z80ICE there. IN a list of boards that are called "available" but
not-often updated, the project does not appear. In the somewhat related
google discussion group "s100computers", there's two messages from 2016
about a list of ten Z80ICE board-buyers by Kaufman in mid 2016 or so.
Then a Michael Narigon discussed in Oct 2016, "I'll update the design
with a Atmel CPLD in production". He did something on it in Dec 2016, he
posts that a board was produced through seeedstudio.com: I found nothing
there. No "narigon" on the Retrobrew_etc Web page.

"Down the rabbit hole". This group(s) do a lot of interesting things and
I try to respect their works. But for non-participants like me, diving
deep to find something leaves me gasping for air when I surface again.
(shrug) It's hard to know what's persistent.

I will consider removing my Z80ICE Web page from my site. Bob shows off
his prior product on his own Web site. Thus my page is not needed to
"support" it.

Regards, Herb

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net