[Intel-devsys] Tauntek/Grieb Z80 and 8080 ICEs (Herb Johnson)

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.com
Wed Aug 7 10:48:13 MDT 2019

Thanks for joining the discussion, Gary; and confirming the state of
your previous project and available boards. Again, your post in
retrobrew  was also informative. Here's my thoughts for what they are worth.

First: a microprocessor ICE is useful and productive. I've used Bob's
product also, it was a great and useful thing to have been produced at
that time. I was an early user, and people through the years have asked
me about the product due to my Web page about it.

I read the evidence as given. That evidence makes it clear to me, that
this particular implementation of a microprocessor ICE, is not
productive to replicate going forward. (Gary's stock and further
interest are his call of course.) I'll take down or modify my Web page
on the subject accordingly.

What remains, is the principle of using one programmable device to
intercept instructions and signals of a 8-bit processor; and then take
actions and report them by serial link; and also the converse of
serial-link actions to take actions upon the 8-bit processor. ICE is an
old concept, what's recent is to implement it in the physical space of
the processor.

One apparent design challenge, is to use an intercepting programmed
device that can manage 5-volt logic, versus the predominance of 3.3V
signaling today. Beyond that: it's "designer's choice" for another
programmed-logic device. I don't know what those choices are.

The alternative, as I found and posted here, is to completely simulate
the 8-bit processor at real-time speeds (several megahertz) with a
faster modern processor. I posted that someone apparently used an ARM
and other logic to ICE-emulate a Z80, and also potentially other 8-bit
processors, and even features of additional hardware. It's not clear, if
that particular result or its design will become available.

Point being: again it's "designer's choice" if someone wants to build a
completely synthetic Z80, 8085, 8086 processor ICE. (The 8080 has some
non-5-volt signaling to deal with.) ARM processors are fast, cheap, and
small. That choice offers "one ring to rule them all", theoretically.

----------------------

There's another alternative, which is simple to create but limited in
results. I've done it myself: Lee Hart introduced it to me. The same
principle was used in the MITS Altair and IMSAI 8080 front-panel boards.

One disconnects the processor's data pins from the board-under-test; and
straps them as needed to force the processor to execute specific
single-byte instructions. All this takes is a processor chip to mangle
up, maybe a socket.

Less fancy description: force a NOP on the processor and watch as it
races through the address space after reset. One can force other
instructions; with simple logic one can force a pair of instructions by
using A0 etc. to select two rows of diodes/drivers. You get the idea.
It's crude but.. no CPLDs, no device programmers, no
search-ebay-for-misbranded-parts, no PC-board-layouts-sent-to-China.
It's a reasonable choice, because it's easy for an individual to DO, on
their bench. "A bird in hand, is worth two in the bush."

Those are my thoughts.

regards, Herb

PS: Gary, my apologies for describing my look into
retrobrewcomputers.org as "down the rabbit hole". But that is my
experience as an outsider, who is not part of the conversations there,
and who occasionally looks to see what is available-for-purchase-today.
I appreciate, the site and related discussion sites, are not there for
that purpose, it and the participants have other purposes which are
commendable. Without elaborating: many people are able to create
quickly, microprocessor items for their own or other's interests; and
then move on to something else. I'm sorry if I'm impatient about that
fact of modern technology.

more regards, Herb

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net