[Intel-devsys] Tauntek/Grieb Z80 and 8080 ICEs

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.com
Thu Aug 8 09:56:01 MDT 2019

> Re: Tauntek/Grieb Z80 and 8080 ICEs
> [from - Jon Bradbury]
>
> Hi team
>
> I have only skimmed this discussion but I would like you to know that I
> successfully replicated Bob Grieb’s 8080 ICE using a 3.3v XC9536, which
> IS easy to get hold of....
> It is a completely different layout to Bob’s board..
>   I also designed a layout using SMD ICs...
> I have a stack of 8080-ICE boards here but they are quite expensive to
> build (in terms of parts cost and time). So they would not be
> particularly cheap (I need to recoup the development costs). If you are
> interested, please form an orderly queue....
>
> One more point – a member of the retrobrew community – maybe Gary – did
> succeed in securing a number of 5v CPLDs from LoTech in the UK. I had a
> chat with him and as he was going to build more ICE boards I kind of
> shelved my production until all his were sold. - Jon Bradbury

Wow. Great work, Jon.

I guess my "evidence as given" has been corrected. I thought that
replicating Tauntek's ICEes was over. I was about to write an obituary
for that product on my Web page about the Z80ICE. But Gary Kaufman has
some number of replicas of Bob's Z80 board and additional 5-volt CPLDs
which he tests and programs. Now Jon Bradbury conditionally offers a
variant Tauntek 8080 ICE board using a 3.3V CPLD.

I'm in a odd place about discussion of these offers. I have a Web page
on Tauntek's Z80ICE. It's an interesting thing, I was part of its
development. It's a popular enough page, as I said people ask me about
the product and if I'm "still selling it", and so on. But I considered
dumping the page or writing an ending about the product.

And now, here we have two semi-private semi-public, conditional offers,
of parts or boards. And stories about how to work with now-vintage out
of production parts. Issues of fake parts, dead parts, 3.3V versus 5V. I
like to have such stories on my Web site - they are part of the vintage
microcomputing experience. And the Z80 or 8080 ICE is a useful tool for
others' consideration, even as a concept. Someone else, made an ARM
version to emulate the Z80 entirely.

But, I usually don't point to people's work or quote them without their
permission, for reasons one can imagine. Specifically: these two offers,
are conditional in various ways, and somewhat "privately" directed.

So: I'll be glad to add links and brief notes on my Web page, to Jon's
work, and links to Gary's work, on their respective Web locations - if
they want me to. If they don't want me to, I won't. It's their work,
their terms, their decision. They will have to tell me to do so, give me
useful links. I am asking them now to do so, contact me in private or in
this list, please, at some point. With any content they care to add,
and/or tell me I can quote from their  content posted here.

I'll keep my Tauntek ICE Web page. I'll report facts, that individuals
have picked up Bob Grieb's offers to permit replication of his ICEes;
they have found certain problems and costs in replicating the product,
as I just mentioned and they described. They have a few to offer, but
provisionally. With permission, I'll quote details, names, links.
Without permission, I can report generally about things said,
unattributed. Obviously, I'd like to report the details and persons. I
like to think they benefit from such reportage, but they may not agree.

I try to respect people's privacy and content rights. That's hard to
determine on the Web; it may be an obsolete concept now. But I think
it's up to the owners of the content.

Regards, Herb

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net