[Intel-devsys] irmx-80 diskettes

Jon Hales jonhales at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 02:52:20 MDT 2019

Herb, Bill, cc Mark and others

It's good to see your discussions.

This is a note on two topics:
- getting at the files on Intel M2FM-encoded DD disks,
- the exercise I reported around a year ago, where I imagined a
comprehensive list of Intel MDS software releases.

Part 1.
As Herb reported, Mark Ogden has a great deal of experience at working with
images of Intel disks. He also has a substantial collection of files
extracted from particular disks. The 'Intel80' directory contains files for
iRMX80 2.4 and iRMX80 4.0. I'm sure Mark will be very interested to see
what Bill has on his disks with version 1.3.

Building on his knowledge of Intel's disk organisation, Mark wrote a
program to help me with several collections of Intel double-density disks
to which I I have access. The process starts with me making a
track-by-track recording of the disk using a device that identifies flux
transitions. There are now several such devices, but two of these have only
embryonic software support. It's likely that the programming would need
some adjustment for each variety. The device I was using saves each track
as a separate file, with 77 files for the tracks of a single-sided disk
(all MDS disks are single-sided). [A further detail: by default, the system
I'm using reads each track six times and saves six copies of the flux
transitions - one can pick the copy of a sector that has fewest bad values].

Mark's program idd2imd.exe can operate on a single track or on a zipfile
containing all the tracks from a disk. It outputs a file in Imagedisk (Dave
Dunfield) standard (with optional diagnostic data, such as a histogram of
the time interval values on the track). Given an IMD image, Mark's program
unidsk.exe, works out the filesystem and assembles the sectors into the
files on the disk. These files are written to a directory named after the
disk name. An additional text file provides the 'directory' of the disk,
together with information about each file on the disk.

[In parentheses:
1. Mark's idd2imd program works with flux transitions from single density
(FM) and double density (MFM) as well as M2FM disks.
2. Mark has recently adapted his algorithm to provide a means of building
the files from the sectors recovered from Zilog (ZDOS and RIO) 32 hard
sector disks. In addition to the files, the program gives a summary of the
types of data in sectors and shows a map of sectors across the entire disk].

Now, I should point out that this is not exactly comparable to producing,
for example, an Imagedisk image of a CP/M disk (encoded in FM or MFM). In
the CP/M case, an Imagedisk file allows the user to write a fresh disk that
is a copy of the original disk. This doesn't apply to M2FM due to
limitations of the disk controller IC in PCs of the DOS era. [To be clear:
Imagedisk can make a valid image of an Intel single-density disk, as Herb
indicated].

If we want a copy of an M2FM disk, then the simple way to create it is
using the Intel 'copy' utility. [The 'Richard Main' Hobbytronics
Serial-to-USB device is another way to 'export' tracks and have the ability
to write a copy of the original double-density disk].

Part 2
Starting with a list of known '95xxxx-xx' and '97xxxx-xxx' (single and
double-density) disks, I tried to imagine what the universe of Intel's
software releases might look like. For example, if the suffix of a known
disk was '-03', I reasoned that probably there had previously been versions
'-01' and '-02', even if these had never been released to customers. By
analogy, I also reasoned that if no known disk had a specific code number,
then that might well mean that this was a rarely used program, but one that
was likely to have existed.

As I explained in a note accompanying a draft list, we could use the list
in at least these ways:
1. to check the identification of disk numbers and titles across
repositories. (e.g. for consistency, to over-ride abbreviations, etc.)
2. to speculate about the existence of disks we haven't seen,
3. to establish a framework into which new discoveries can be fitted,
4. to estimate what fraction of the 'universe' the existing repositories
represent (at the time the list was compiled, this was 54 of a possible 183
titles).

Bill's iRMX-80 disks fit neatly into the scheme, with one exception: the
number '9500018-xx'/'9700018-xx' is already occupied by PROM programming
software, as located in three of the repositories.

Best regards

Jon