[Intel-devsys] irmx-80 diskettes

Bill Beech (NJ7P) nj7p at nj7p.info
Fri Aug 16 12:27:35 MDT 2019

Herb,

On 8/15/2019 4:19 PM, Herb Johnson wrote:
> Thanks Bill, this is very comprehensive. A few comments.
>
> You might do the easy thing first: read off the single-density disks.
> YOu could do that in CP/M on a CP/M box, or with Dunfield's imagedsk
> on an MS-DOS box. In any event you can verify the disk scheme.
Ah, but how do I connect an 8-inch disk to a DOS box.  I have done it in
the past and may need to do it again.  I have one DSDD 8-inch drive and
power supply that I could patch together to interface with the the
AH-1520 FDC that works with the Dunfield imagedsk.  May need to use an
SCSI HD on that controller.  We will see.

> DD M2FM is harder. But you might ask Mark Ogden about it. (now this
> conversation is in the Intel-dev list, Mark can speak for himself.)

Jump in there, Mark.  My idea would be to write a program to transmit an
Intel hex file for each track to the PC.

> He's created a lot of files from Intel disk sources. He's rewritten
> Dunfield tools to run under Windows. He may have a tool to run under
> ISIS, or be willing to write one.
>
>  https://github.com/ogdenpm/disktools/tree/master/unidsk
I will check these out.

> Unpacks an isis .imd or .img file into the individual files.
>     Supports ISIS II SD, ISIS II DD, ISIS III and ISIS IV
>
> There is an old CP/M program to read ISIS diskettes, look in the
> CPMUG. I retrieved it decades ago to read DEC RT-11 diskettes. (And I
> did tonight, it's in CPMUG #1. I'll zip it up and send it to Bill.)
>
> No hurry on this, Bill of course, you have a full plate.
So many projects, so little time!

> Regards,
> Herb
Bill