[Intel-devsys] disk formats (was: irmx-80 diskettes)

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.com
Fri Aug 16 14:30:29 MDT 2019

Well, Roger Arrick, for a single Web page on how to deal with Intel
class floppy diskettes; I have a few Web pages on the subject. Then
below, a little lecture on the concept. This doesn't have much to do
with irmx80, so I changed the subject-line.

Do a Web search on "intel diskettes site:retrotechnology.com". or "M2FM
site:retrotechnology.com". It's not one Web page, because efforts
occurred over two or three decades. I covered things for different
reasons at different times.  While I'm not the only person who reported
on reading "funny" diskettes, I think I was early and persistent,
particularly on the Intel Multibus side of disk images. Of course, Al
Kossow had the persistent archive for diskette images, thanks Al!

But in the end, I think there's three ways now to process Intel-class
diskettes. Here's a lecture about that, with my opinions. I'm not
arguing, I'm just laying out the landscape, answering Roger's question.

+ Obviously the first is: native systems, restored Intel development
systems. Especially for M2FM diskettes. That's a recent achievement,
mostly by people on this Intel-dev list! Thanks, buddies!

+ The second way, was use of what I'll arbitrarily call "MS-DOS boxes".
Those use either IBM-PC compatible floppy controllers with Dunfield's
imagedisk suite; or early customized disk-sampling ISA (later PCI) cards
with specialized programs.

Premier among the "customs" is/was the "catweasel" in various versions.
That controller is no longer in production, and was never widely
available. Development of software for it, forked and divided among
maybe six developers including the producer. I tried to 'cover' that for
years, at the time. It's time has mostly passed, but it's an option if
you have the board. Again - Google my Web site for "catweasel".

On "PC compatible floppy controllers", the limiting factor is
single-density format support. One either finds a 486/386/286 DOS
computer with its on-board floppy controller; or one uses an Adaptec ISA
board, a SCSI/floppy ISA card. Dave Dunfield himself, documented how to
do all that with imagedsk, has a test program for floppy controllers.
There's a few predecessor MS-DOS programs like Teledisk.; many CP/M
reader programs. Discussions on the Web, confirm which models of Adaptec
boards do the job of single-density. And a search of my Web domain will
find some of THOSE references.

There's a few old-days ISA floppy boards to read copy-protected disks
with MS-DOS programs. Rare and not cheap now.

+ The third way, is what Jon Hales just posted about. Devices, embedded
controllers really, which do bit-sampling and which operate floppy
drives. Most are USB-based. As Jon points out, there are several. I'll
tell you immediately - my Web site doesn't cover those. The *makers*
have to cover those. Here's why.

There's several of these devices, which have been produced by (mostly)
"hobbyists" since about the 1990's. In my general opinion, they come and
go over several years. They often target specific vintage computers.
Some are for industrial purposes: sewing machines with nonstandard
floppy drives.

However: it's possible there's now a few which have either persisted, or
which can be replicated if they are out-of-production. And some support
general vintage-computing use. But I - don't - know. I gave up trying to
keep up with them. They are part of modern 21st century hobby computing
tech: items on github, posted with Gerber files, you-want-one,
you-make-one, send to China/East Asia for the PC boards. But a few may
be "commercialized", in some kind of production, some kind of support
which may or may not be "open".

Roger, that's my "read" of your request for "one Web page to rule them,
one Page to find them". That ring already fell down the volcano. Google
is your friend now. But if you find such a Web page, let me know, I'd be
curious.

regards
Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net