[Intel-devsys] switching power supplies

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.com
Fri Aug 23 10:09:00 MDT 2019

Some months ago, Bill Beech and I posted about our struggles with Intel
systems which used a now-failing switching power supply. Bill "fixed"
his by buying a modern working switching supply for modern PCs.

Recently, I was contacted by someone who has an early 1970's
minicomputer. They diagnosed by swap and other means, their particular
switching supply had failed. They wanted me to fix it; I've told them I
cannot, but I at least identified their power supply was probably an
"OEM" model not designed (or documented) by the computer's manufacturer.

That's the same situation Bill and I found ourselves in. But this older
supply produces 24 volts, which is uncommon in modern supplies. And it
may be harder to swap-in something modern.

So I'm asking: has anyone come across a repair-service, that can fix
switching power supplies "cold" - no docs, without sending them the
whole computer? I'm sure companies offer such services - a Web search
will find those. I'm asking for real (and current) experiences, not for
a Web search I can do.

Of course, many Intel development systems did not use a switcher. But
some did, and my friends here have experiences with other systems.

Regards,
Herb

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net