[Intel-devsys] switching power supplies

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 11:09:51 MDT 2019

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019, 10:10 Herb Johnson <hjohnson at retrotechnology.com>
wrote:

> But this older
> supply produces 24 volts, which is uncommon in modern supplies.

24V is still extremely common in switching power supplies. You can get
about a zillion different 24V power supplies inexpensively from electronics
distributors like Digi-Key or Mouser. Power supplies by Mean Well in
particular are inexpensive but of good quality.

What's very uncommon is finding a multioutput switcher with exactly the set
of output voltages and current ratings to replace an OEM multioutput.
There's a simple solution to that: I just get multiple single-output
supplies (or occasionally a mix of singles and duals).

To a first approximation, the physical volume occupied by a switcher is
proportional to its wattage, and for modern supplies the constant of
proportionality is lower than for 1980s power supplies. I have yet to run
into an original PS that I couldn't replace with a few modern switchers
that combined would fit in the less volume than the original.