[Intel-devsys] IMAGEDISK for MDS 8" SSSD disks

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.com
Fri Feb 21 21:17:18 MST 2020

Roger asked if anyone is home: I'm listening but got busy. I will submit
suggestions to show the lights are on, even I'm not "home" to give a
good solution.

So, can someone send Roger a disk formatted SSSD on a 225's controller?
So he can read it on his PC/AHA/Imagedsk system and look at the details
of the track and sector formatting? and the sector interleave?

Or of course - if Roger can write such a disk on his 225, and it works
on his 225, then he can try to read it on the PC to see its format. My
recollection is that my CP/M system programs (DU) can at least read
sectors on an ISIS diskette - of course it can't recognize the ISIS disk
as a CP/M disk for obvious reasons.

Seems to me, if the PHYSICAL interleave between sectors is wrong, even
if the bit-format is right, the MDS may run out of time between sector
reads, and not be able to process the diskette.

It gets confusing to read off sectors of real disks, and determine what
a "physical interleave" is. one may have to do a "track read" and then
parse the track as read, read off bits and so on. Ancient PC programs
like "ANADISK" I think provided such capability.

The other possibility of fault? Writing the imagedisk image too
literally on the PC. Say the imagedsk image is physical-sequential
sectors. Maybe the PC imagedsk is writing out the image as sequential
sectors - when it should not, they have to be interleaved.

Roger's setup is the one to be verified, so 1) confirm his MDS is
working with 'proper' SSSD Intel-format disks and 2) his MDS can process
such disks OK - then he's testing against a known-good result and merely
needs to 3) REPLICATE the known-working Intel diskette format on his PC
setup, down to all the bits and sectors in the right, physical, places.

Hope that's helpful.

Regards, Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net