[Intel-devsys] IMAGEDISK for MDS 8" SSSD disks

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.com
Sat Feb 22 20:27:13 MST 2020

The DBIT adapter does an interesting thing. It counts tracks from 00 and
when it gets above some value, it turns on the "greater than track
whatever" write-comp signal. For some early 8-inch drives, they had no
means to self-adjust for higher bit-density inner tracks. And if you
read the drive manuals, there was no standard track-number among them.
Later drives had the smarts to do this, so no external signal is needed.

If anyone has had marginal data problems that mostly occurred on inner
(higher-number) tracks, this might be a symptom. Any comments?

Regards, Herb

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net